Thursday 11 September 2014

Deconstruction| Contents Page

The layout of this contents is very classic and plain looking but manages to pull it off as it looks so sophisticated. Grey and black are the two main colours which have been used on this page which helps to make the image of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen stand out and their clothes appear more attractive because of the contrast in colours. Similar to the other two magazines, the name of the magazine has again been written on top of the page in the exact same style as the masthead on the front cover. Subheadings have been used to indicate to the reader what sort of content is inside and also helps to split all the text up so it doesn't look like too much. At the bottom of the page, the magazine lists all of the awards it has won which adds some sort of comfort to the reader that the price they are paying for this magazine is worth it. Also, I think a lot of women will take pride in the fact they are reading such a well created/popular magazine.
The colors used on this magazine and how it is presented is exactly how I want my own product to be like. These pale, neutral colours make the magazine look a lot more classy and cosmopolitan which is the way I want mine to look. I also really like how the masthead of the magazine has been written on the page which is something that I will do whilst creating my own product.

This is the other side of the contents page which you can see has a lot more images yet still is set out in the same blocks/lists where the text is. I would say this page is a lot more vibrant than the other, just due to the fact that there is a lot more colour in the pictures which will also appeal to the target audience. A piece of text in capital letters has been placed under the list of contents in a grey box which is about subscribing to the magazine and receiving free makeup. This feature will instantly attract the reader as if they do one simple thing then they will end up with £25 worth of makeup. It is very likely that women who like to buy the magazine often will be subscribed anyways in order for them to keep up to date with the latest trends etc. The very last piece of text on the page lists some of the products/clothes that have been used on the model on the front cover which will again appeal to the target audience. This is also very helpful because for example, if they like the makeup worn on the model then they would be able to look at the products used and maybe go out and buy them.


 In relation to my own product, I have found that it will be a good idea to include a subscription box on my contents page as it helps to draw in the reader and fits best with being on this page.
However, one thing that I dislike about this contents page is how the images have been placed. I think that with them being different sizes and being placed together makes it appear to be unorganised and disordered. 
I really ike how simple this contents page is yet it still manages to look classy and chic.

2 comments:

  1. When you deconstruct your magazines you must continuously bear your own product in mind .. you must say what you like / dislike - what you have learned in relation to your own product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have updated this post and talked about what I have learned in relation to my own product.

    ReplyDelete